Monday, September 19, 2011

Baking Challenge: Week Seven - Rainbow Birthday Cake

OK, so I wasn't actually going to post this recipe, however after posting my pics on both Facebook and Twitter of B's birthday cake, I got asked how I made the cake....and so here is my recipe.

The original idea for the rainbow cake came from a blog I've been reading for the past year or so, by a wonderful American lady. Her blog is called i am baker. The post was this one here. I don't know really how I managed to come accross this blog, but wow, this lady is AMAZING! :o)

It's a recipe based on a Victoria Sponge recipe that I had in my recipe file (see here) which I tweaked a little to suit my need.

Now here in the UK we don't have a lot of wonderful baking things that I have seen on blogs that are availble in the USA, and therefore all I could find were the following colours - red, blue, green and yellow. I am desperate to get a hold of these!

Ah well, not to be deterred, I gave it a go. I literally had NO IDEA what to expect.

B's Rainbow Cake

I made this recipe TWICE. I did it this way because it was easier for me, as I didn't want to be inundated with cake mixture that needed dividing into bowls and stuff, but whatever suits you, I suppose.

Ingredients:

170g unsalted butter
170g caster sugar
4 medium eggs, lightly beaten
170g self-raising flour
Few drops of food colouring in as many colours as you can find!

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 180oC, Gas 4. Grease 2 x 18cm round cake tins and line the base of each with baking parchment.

2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, a little at a time, beating well between each addition. Fold in the flour and add 3 tablespoons of water to bring the mixture to a dropping consistency.

3. Divide the mixture into two bowls and add a few drops of colouring, of your choice, to each and mix well.

4. Place the mixture in each of the tins and bake in the middle shelf for 25 minutes, until well risen and golden.

5. Leave the cakes to cool slightly in their tins, then remove the base liners and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

If you make the recipe twice then you will end up with four cakes, one of each colour:



I then made this buttercream icing.

Buttercream Icing

Ingredients:


250g unsalted butter, softened
600g icing sugar
3-4 tablespoons milk
Few drops food colouring of your choice

Method:

1. Whisk together the butter, icing suagr and milk.

2. Add food colouring to reach the desired colour. Easy!

I then stacked the four cakes - cake, buttercream, cake, buttercream and so on....and then I smothered them all in icing. And then decorated. Job done.

If you want to see my pictures, then please have a look at this post of B's birthday.

Now the next time I make this, and believe me there WILL BE A NEXT TIME, I *think* I might use the buttercream icing from the Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla buttercream icing, because that icing was YUMMY.

I'm really honoured that everyone appears to have been impressed with my Rainbow cake, and I'd like to thank everyone for their kind comments. I hope that you are all now able to re-create your own yummy Rainbow cakes, and when you do, you will think of me, and of B's birthday!

P's Dad was very impressed that he's requested one for his birthday on October 2nd. And seeing as MY birthday is a week after that, what cake can I make to better this one?! Hmmm.....I have my thinking cap on.

As always, I'd love to hear your comments, and to see what your cakes look like. :o)

3 comments:

mum x said...

It looks yummy. Makes a nice birthday cake x

Mistea said...

The cake does look amazing - Grandpa is always the biggest kid in my experience. Hope it is just as nice the second time round.

Libbie said...

LOOK AT YOU! Baking queen! You have been busy!!! I scrolled down & peeked around...I love your rainbow cake...sooo pretty! & I am wishing I weren't on a diet because it is making me VERY hungry :) VERY! ALl of it is...& I do love the homeade stamp too! SO cool! Never have seen one of those before!

Looks like P is quite the Taekwondo master! He looks very professional :) Glad he is having fun! I took a Taekwondo sefl defense class once when I was in college & it is fun! Except....I had to quit because my creepy 40 year old teacher got a crush on me & started stalking me...it was not good :) I guess I needed that class after all :) I had almost forgot abput that! Mkae me laugh now!

I will be quite & probably go look at all your yummy food again before heading to bed...yep, sounds like a good plan to me!

& thanks again Nicola! My camera is not working too good but I will let you know when I post about your package ! It is too exciting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...